Sweet and Spicy Peanut Trail Mix
By: Elizabeth Ward, MS, RD
2 ½ cups whole wheat squares cereal, such as Chex or store brand equivalent
1 ½ cups dry roasted peanuts
2 large egg whites
4 teaspoons pure maple syrup
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less, if desired)
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup dried fruit, such as dried cranberries and raisins, or a mixture
½ cup dark chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cereal and peanuts.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites with a whisk until foamy. Whisk in the maple syrup, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, cumin and salt.
- Add the egg white mixture to the cereal mixture. Toss to coat completely.
- Spread the mixture in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 60 minutes, stirring at 30 minutes.
- Allow the mix to cool for 30 minutes or longer. Combine with the dried fruit and chocolate chips before serving. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrients Per serving
|Calories from Fat||120|
|Trans Fats||0 g|