You know the classic grilled cheese and tomato soup, but have you tried the newest fall combo – peanut butter and chili? That’s right, dipping a PB sandwich in your next bowl of chili will lead you to your next favorite flavor combo! We used National Chili Month (a.k.a October) to spread the word about this unique fall flavor combination through the first ever PB Chili Cookoff on TikTok.
The winning recipe features Lorenzo Espada (@eatwitzo) with Zo’s Classic Chili and Peanut Butter Sandwich, and we’re sharing it here! It’s the perfect combo to enjoy on a crisp fall evening or to serve at your next big gathering.
Zo’s Classic Chili and Toasted Peanut Butter Sandwich
Yields 6 Servings
For the Chili:
- 2 lb ground turkey
- ½ medium green bell pepper, diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes (28oz)
- 1 15 oz can light red kidney beans (Drained)
- 1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans (Drained)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt (more/less depending on preference)
For 6 PB sandwich:
- 12 slices of thick cut brioche-style bread
- 6 tbsp natural creamy peanut butter
- 6 tsp butter
- Heat olive oil in a pot and add in onions, peppers, and garlic. Brown on medium-high until vegetables become soft and tender.
- Add in Ground turkey and brown meat until it is ¾ of the way cooked. Add in tomato paste and reduce heat to medium.
- Next add in the can of crushed tomatoes, and both cans of kidney beans.
- Add in all seasonings listed, and stir well. Cover with a lid and allow the chili to simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and add in 1 tsp of butter.
- Assemble PB sandwich, add it to the pan and spread the remaining 1 tsp of butter to the side of the sandwich facing up. This will ensure a crispy edge on both sides of the sandwich.
- Cook on both sides for 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
- Be sure to slice diagonally and dip in your chili. Enjoy!